We’ve gathered some of the most common home improvement projects that will get you the most bang for your buck, whether it’s your forever home or you’re looking for a return on your investment. Read our tips for future projects and how to finance them. Comment below what home improvement projects you’re working on!
- Kitchen remodel – A kitchen remodel is usually pretty costly, but it doesn’t have to be. If this is your forever home, it may make sense to invest heavily into a kitchen remodel, such as new appliances to make your home more energy efficient, new countertops, and new floors. However, you can simply repaint the cabinets, update hardware fixtures, and lighting.
- Bathroom remodel – This can be a major or minor project. A bathroom vanity is usually the first thing a buyer will look at in any bathroom. If updating a vanity is out of your budget then consider updating the fixtures like the faucet, hardware, mat and towels to add appeal.
- Backyard patio remodel/addition – Remodeling or adding a back patio can really increase your home’s function, allure, and ROI. New patios will cost more depending on deck material. Most importantly you’ll want to optimize your outdoor space to create a usable outdoor area.
- Replacing your front door or garage door – You can replace your front door or simply repaint it to instantly spruce up the front of your house and make a statement. Adds instant curb appeal, and one of the more relatively cheaper projects depending on the material of the door. Replacing your front door and/or garage door could also potentially help with the insulation of your home.
How to finance your projects:
You could always go the route of paying for any remodel or updates with funds from your savings account or credit cards, but there are other alternatives to draining your emergency funds or paying extremely high interest rates on credit cards.
- Home equity loan – You probably have some equity in your home, which is the difference between the appraised value of your home to the outstanding balance, so the more you have paid off on your mortgage the more equity you have. Home equity loans are great alternatives because you’ll receive better rates and more flexibility in how you can use loan proceeds. Contact a bank rep today to find out which type of home equity loan is best for you!
- Home Improvement Program (HIP) – Hamilton County offers a Home Improvement Program (HIP) loan to homeowners in approved Hamilton County communities to borrow money at interest rates below typical bank rates to repair or remodel their homes. Loan proceeds are for new projects only, not for existing financed projects. The loan applies to kitchen remodels, landscaping, energy efficient improvements, etc. North Side Bank & Trust Co. is currently the ONLY bank to offer the HIP loan with Hamilton County. Visit Hamilton County’s site for more information or contact a Loan Officer at (513) 542-7800.
UPDATE: 2020 CINCINNATI HOME & GARDEN SHOW HAS ENDED. If you’re attending the Cincinnati Home & Garden Show at Duke Energy Convention Center use our promo code for $3 off per ticket from the box office price! Click here and enter code NSBT and make sure to visit us in booth 841!